Work in Canada

Work in Canada

Foreign nationals that want to work in Canada needs to acquire a work permit or have authorization to be able to work legally in Canada. Because workers are under temporary residents, these permits need to be renewed before they expire. There are 2 types of work permit:

• Open work permit – if your situation is mentioned below, then you might be eligible to apply for an open work permit
– International students that graduated from a program that is more than 8 months
– Students who are unable to afford their studies
– Abused worker
– Waiting for a decision of a permanent residence application
– A dependent family member of skilled worker who applied for permanent residence
– A spouse or common-law partner of a skilled worker or international student
– A young worker participating in a special program

• Employer-specific work permit – lets you work in Canada under conditions specified on your work permit. Your employer, NOC # and duration of your work may be stipulated on your work permit. Employers must complete certain steps in order to hire a foreign worker and a copy of a positive Labor Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) must be provided to the worker to be able to apply for a work permit.

However, there are exemptions to this rule depending on your occupation. If your occupation is on the list below, you might be a work permit exempt or an LMIA exempt.

Immigration and Citizenship Lawyers Edmonton

Workers that are Work Permit Exempt

Here is the list of professions that do not need a Work Permit in Canada:

• Business visitor
• Foreign Representatives from diplomatic affairs officers from other Countries and their family members
• Armed Forces of another Country
• Maritime law enforcers
• In-flight security officers
• Full-time STUDENT that has a valid student permit
• Performing artists
• Participants in Sports activities or events
• Employee of foreign news
• Guest speakers but no longer that 5 days
• Members of a conventional organization
• Religious workers or spiritual counsellors
• Judge, referee, or similar official for amateur sports or competition
• Examiner or evaluator of research proposal
• For the purpose of acquiring training for medical elective or clinical clerk
• Civil aviation inspector
• Members of a crew for foreign company abroad a means of transportation
• Provider of Emergency Services

Worker that are LMIA Exempt

• Workers under International Agreements
• Canadian-provincial/territorial exemption
• Airline personnel, Interns with international organizations
• Rail grinder operators or maintenance workers
• United Nations workers
• Foreign Physicians coming to work in Quebec
• Entrepreneurs
• Caregivers and family members

Travel and work

For young Adults ages 18-35 and would like to travel and work under International Experience Canada, you may be able to apply for an Open Work Permit
Young professionals from the following countries may be eligible to apply an Open Work Permit:

  • Australia
  • Austria
  • Belgium
  • Chile
  • Poland
  • Portugal
  • Costa Rica
  • Croatia
  • Czech Replublic
  • Denmark
  • San Marino
  • Slovakia
  • Estonia
  • France
  • Germany
  • Greece
  • Slovenia
  • Spain
  • Hongkong SAR
  • Ireland
  • Italy
  • Japan
  • Sweden
  • Switzerland
  • Korea, Republic
  • Latvia, Republic
  • Lithuania
  • Luxembourg
  • Taiwan
  • Ukraine
  • Mexico
  • Netherlands
  • New Zealand
  • Norway
  • United Kingdom
Edmonton Immigration Lawyers


We are dedicated to help you find an Immigration Stream that best fits your needs. Book a consultation with our Certified Immigration Consultant.